By Gabriella Ianiro
Can you believe Valentine’s Day is this week? Many enjoy the idea of Valentine’s Day, but the pressure of creating a magical day can get pricy. If you do the gifting thing and you’re on a budget, check out these inexpensive, quick DIY Valentine’s Day gifts for both him and her! Here are some projects for all different skill levels, so even if you’re not a hardcore DIY-er, chances are you’ll find something you can create.
Graduate student Anthony Lezaja who is receiving his Masters in Environmental Sustainability believes Valentine’s Day is Hallmark Holiday. “I think a homemade gift is different, it holds more significance than buying a gift. For Lezaja a budget doesn’t necessarily dictate his gift choices. “I think it mostly comes down to how you view Valentine’s Day. I would still buy flowers and go out to dinner, but a homemade creative gift comes from the heart,” said Lezaja.
First, make your own heart card. This is a project that requires card stock, buttons and glue. Super easy and inexpensive. The price tag isn’t everything though; your thoughtful messages inside will show how much you care. You can even glue a picture of you and your sweetie on the inside!
Heart Card Directions
1. Place buttons on card stock making the shape of a heart. Secure buttons to the paper with glue.
2. Write your message on the inside (optional-glue picture on inside cover)
Senior Psychology major Kristi Zoto, believes that gifting from the heart is important on Valentine’s Day. “DIY gifts are such a cute way to show you’re partner you care. The price of the gift doesn’t matter; especially being a college student DIY gifts on a budget are perfect,” said Zoto.
Next, create the “52 Reasons I Love You” cards. This project will put you to the test. You will use a deck of cards and write a reason on each of the cards why you love your partner. Can you come up with 52 reasons why you love your sweetie? Be creative with this- you can make it sentimental or hysterical. Ready, set, go!
52 Reasons I Love You Directions
1. Find some playing cards! Any deck of cards will do.
2. Take white matte label paper (you’ll need a label large enough to cover the card) Cover 2 cards- these will be used as your front cover and back cover
3. Punch 2 holes in 1 card- use it as a guide to for all of the others
4. Using small printing labels (or any sticker that allows for writing) stick them onto the cards and write your reasons
There are so many ways to do this craft. Get creative with it-make it special. If you run out of things to say, you can always put pictures on some of the cards!
Lastly, for those of you who aren’t so crafty and may be better in the kitchen, try these delicious Heart Rice Krispies Treats. You can add red food coloring into the mix to make them even cuter! You will use heart shaped cookie cutters to cut out the hearts. Once you’ve done that and they have cooled you can take things a step further. Decorate them with frosting and candies! You can write little messages on them like I♥U, BE MINE, HOTTIE, LOVE, KISS ME etc.
Heart Rice Krispies Directions
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in food coloring (if desired). Remove from heat.
2. Add Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using butter spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool slightly. Using cookie cutters coated with cooking spray cut into desired shapes. Decorate with frosting and/or candies. Best if served the same day.
If you’re going to remain on campus and only have access to a microwave- don’t fear; this treat can still be made! Here are microwavable directions.
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
Valentine’s Day is a about showing your love for one another, not about what you splurge on. Make the day special and romantic by putting a little effort into the gifts you give. They will mean a whole lot more than anything that money can buy. These are 3 DIY gift ideas that are easy, fast and meaningful. HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!