If you are anything like me, you have spent countless hours standing exasperatedly in front of your closet, thinking to yourself: “I have absolutely nothing to wear.” It is for this reason that I have determined eight must-have items to make your wardrobe work for you.
1. Blazer: I believe that every fashionista needs a well-fitting blazer in her wardrobe. Blazers can work in most seasons as well as in most settings such as the office and on-campus. Wear it over a dress to add some edge or with a t-shirt and jeans to be effortlessly cool. Check out Express or Gap to find the perfect blazer for your wardrobe.
2. Cardigan: Is there anything more comfortable than a nice cardigan on a pleasant spring afternoon? No matter the color, cardigans are capable of adding comfort and style to any outfit. Worn with a pencil skirt, one can look adorable and vintage. Worn with a button-down shirt and jeans, one can look cute and studious! Look for cardigan options anywhere from J.CREW to Target.
3. Button-Down Shirt: Many of us see button-down shirts and think rigid and outdated, but these shirts are quite versatile. The most important thing when purchasing a button-down shirt is to be certain that it fits perfectly. This might take some trial and error, but it is definitely worth the time. Remember, if you are breaking a sweat just trying to button it, go up a size or two. Wear it open, with a comfy t-shirt and jeans, or tucked into a nice skirt to show that you mean business…stylish business, of course.
4. T-Shirt: This piece might sound a little commonplace, but you can never underestimate the power of a comfortable t-shirt. Try a soft, stretchy material that skims over your body and accentuates your curves. You simply cannot go wrong with a plain white t-shirt. Just look at old movies with James Dean and Marlon Brando; it does not get much better than that, ladies! Tucked into a pencil skirt or worn with skinny jeans, you are ready for anything.
5. Wrap Dress: There is little more universally flattering than a classic wrap dress—just ask fashion designer and wrap dress queen, Diane von Furstenberg. The beauty of a wrap dress is not only the plunging, yet classy neckline, but also the waist accentuating tie. Depending on length, wrap dresses can be worn to a fancy dinner or a BBQ at a friend’s house. Old Navy has some incredible dress options for your spring fashion needs.
6. Pencil Skirt: These skirts are no longer just for librarians and teachers! Pencil skirts can be sultry and body-hugging or classic and charming. A black pencil skirt is a staple in any fashion maven’s closet. Pencil skirts can be worn higher and with a shirt tucked in to add some drama. Head into Macy’s or Banana Republic to search for your skirt of choice.
7. Skinny Jeans: This might be strictly a personal choice, but I think a good pair of skinny jeans is all a girl really needs in the jean department. Skinny jeans are very flattering and can be worn with a variety of shoes. Capable of being dressed up or dressed down, skinny jeans are a must-have these days.
8. Leggings: To know me, is to know that leggings are basically my sole pant of choice. While the fashion police are still investigating the leggings-as-pants crime, I feel that leggings are comfortable and flexible. However, when wearing leggings, a longer shirt or longer tank top under your shirt should be worn to prevent any further crimes against fashion.
I hope that next time you are standing in front of your closet, you think back to what Dr. Marisa has prescribed in this article. It is important to note that there is no need to get frustrated when it comes to fashion. The key is to be yourself. As Greek sage and Stoic philosopher Epictetus once said, “Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly.”