Linda McMahon loses after investing almost $100 million in her campaign
In Connecticut, Linda McMahon (R) lost her bid for a seat in the U.S. Senate to three term Connecticut Congressman Christopher Murphy (D). McMahon is married to Vince McMahon, former wrestling executive and retired WWE wrestler. This was her second time in three years running for Senate according to an article by Peter Applebome in The New York Times this month. According to the New York Times, McMahon spent nearly $100 million dollars between the two races. “Ms. McMahon may or may not get to influence job creation as a senator,” wrote Applebome in a separate article before the election. “But she has already made an impact on the Connecticut economy,” wrote Applebome. “By dishing out close to $100 million for two Senate races.” McMahon spent more than anyone has ever spent of their own money to win any federal seat.
Same Sex Marriage Legalized in four states on Election Day
In each state that same sex marriage was considered through ballot voting, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington, it was approved. In total, nine states have legalized same sex marriage. According to the article by by Erik Eckholm written this month, Maine voters voted against same-sex marriage only three years ago, 53 percent to 47 percent. But last Tuesday the numbers were reversed, leaving supporters for same sex marriage at 53 percent to 47 percent. Not only were gay rights legalized in four states for the first time, but also, according to an article on Time.com by Michael A. Lindenberger this month, candidates that were openly gay or that strongly supported gay rights were also elected into office. Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin was elected to the Senate in Wisconsin and will become the country’s first openly gay Senator when the new Congress forms, wrote Lindenberger. In total, nine states in our country have legalized same sex marriage.
Gas is being rationed according to odd-even license plate numbers
If you have been sitting in gridlock traffic, it may not be traffic, you might be on a gas line. After Superstorm Sandy, residents have been racing to the gas stations using social media websites like GasBuddy to track stations that have gas. Because of power outages, many gas stations in our region remain closed, and those that are open, are closed within a day or so due to long lines and people buying gas. According to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, only 25 percent of gas stations are open in New York City. With residents camping out all night at gas lines, the government has attempted to shorten lines by rationing gas. “Since Friday, Nov. 9, is an odd day,” according to an article in The Christian Science Monitor by Laurent Belsie, “only cars with license plates ending in an odd number or a letter or other character will be able to buy gas. On Saturday, only cars with license plates that end with even numbers or zero will be able to fill up.” Bloomberg added that shortages can continue to last up to another two weeks. According to Belsie, police officers are monitoring gas stations to ensure no one cuts lines. Violators of the odd-even system can be charged with a Class B misdemeanor.
Marijuana legalized in two states
Voters in Washington and Colorado passed ballot initiatives last week to legalize marijuana for recreational use. But, even though Washington and Colorado have regulated the use and sale of marijuana for adults, according to an article on CNN.com “Marijuana legalization passes in Colorado, Washington” by Aaron Smith, marijuana is still illegal in the eyes of the federal government, which overrules states’ rights. According to Smith, analysts had projected that Washington voters would approve legalizing cannabis because it proposes a heavy tax for marijuana that made the proposal attractive to ‘budget hawks.’ According to another article on CNN.com “2 states legalize pot, but don’t ‘break out the Cheetos’ yet” by Alan Duke, “Legalization could save U.S. taxpayers the $10 billion spent each year on enforcing marijuana prohibition, and eliminate the criminal cases against more than 750,000 people arrested per year for possession.” The Drug Enforcement Administration remains adamant that marijuana is an illegal drug and that possessing, using or selling it is a crime.